Sunday, February 22, 2009

Breastfeeding vs. Bottlefeeding

First off, I am not placing this post here to cause a debate. I am genuinely interested in your responses.

I am due with our 4th child who is due in April. I bottlefed our first 3 but I am "on the fence" about my decision to breastfeed or bottlefeed with this new little one.

My reasons would be for bottlefeeding:
1) It is not really that inconvenient to bottlefeed
2)My bottlefed children turned out just fine
3) My children were easy to wean from the bottle
4)Dh and my other children can help
5) Afraid of cracked nipples or mastitis from breastfeeding
6) Afraid that I won't be able to easily wean baby from breastfeeding

My reasons for breastfeeding:
1)Loving bond with baby
2)ready to feed baby on demand
3)Helps to prevent breast and other cancers(which I am concerned about because my mom and grandma are breast cancer survivors)
4)I would like to try because I felt like I missed out on this special bond with the first 3. The women in my family never breastfed(so I wasn't encouraged but I wasn't DIS-couraged either) and I wasn't educated about it.
5) I will have lots of support from friends now.
6) My dh is even encouraging me.
7) Afraid of the possibility of a formula shortage.

What are your reasons for one or the other?

3 comments:

Karen said...

I breastfed my girls, using some formula at the sitter's to supplement what I couldn't pump.

Breastfeeding pros:
-Huge money saver
-stops baby's fussing more quickly than making a bottle
-helps Mom lose baby weight
-baby tends to have fewer illnesses (benefits from Mom's immunities + less ear infections, supposedly)
-baby needs YOU-no one else will do
-easier in middle of the night
-no bottle sterilizing
-no "running out" of formula
-no recalls due to something foreign making it into the formula

Breastfeeding cons:
-cracked nipples and/or mastitis (had it first time around-Yikes!-but you can bf through it)
-modesty issues-bothers some people more than others.
-no one else can feed baby unless you pump (or give formula)


That's all I can think of right now. I'd vote you give it a try-no one says you have to continue if it doesn't work for you. And if it does work, great!

Weaning wasn't a problem with either of my girls. The dr. suggested that we give all other liquids in a cup, so as they hit the 12 mo. mark, they were pretty ready to do all their drinking that way.

Best wishes to you, whichever direction you choose.

Tina said...

Karen~
Thank you for sharing and for your encouragement.

I just recently discovered a new reason that I may want to try.

It seems that breastfeeding helps prevent type 1 diabetes in those who are susceptible to it(which this baby would be because my youngest ds is diabetic).

Thanks again!

Kim said...

Tina,

I have breastfed four kids and never had mastitis. I did have sore nipples with all four (even with good latches), but you tough it out and get through it (it usually only lasts a week or so) and then it never hurts.

Weaning has never been a problem for me. When I decided it was time to wean, I just said "no more!" I weaned 2 at 12 months and one at 20 months, still bf'ing my 20month old.

I work as an RN in mother/baby so I am always helping people with breastfeeding and have taken several classes. Breastfeeding is SOOOOOOOO good for babies. None of my boys have ever had an ear infection! I hope you are able to do it successfully, let me know if you have any questions or need help.